Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beans or peas...

Time to put in a mid-season replacement for the sugar snap peas, which are, because of the very cool summer we've had, only just now starting to fade.

Do I put in more peas, because I like them better? Or beans, because I love how tall and wild the vines get? I do like beans, just not as much as I like snap peas. Hm.

The city has started work on our water line, which means we're currently getting our water from temporary pipes and hoses that put the water into our house through our external faucet — water pressure is actually better than under our usual system, which I hadn't expected. Parking on my block may soon become uncertain, they'll be digging up the easement and eventually replacing it with crap soil and sod, and I still haven't started prepping the space where I want to move my acid garden this fall. I also still haven't torn out the yews or decided what I want to plant in their place.

West side, near the foundation, flanking the front steps. At least on the south side of the steps, if it's an evergreen it has to be either less than three feet tall or very narrow, because Puck quite reasonably doesn't want shade to keep the ice from melting off our front steps. Anything formal would probably look rather silly given the increasing chaos of the rest of the yard. I don't know why I'm at such a loss for ideas.

1 comment:

drembasoup said...

Probably too late to weigh in on the beans or peas debate. If you went with the beans, I hope you gave yourself at least one pea plant so you can munch in giddiness while tending to the other plants.

Can you send a photo of the front yard with some indication of where you'll be planting. I'd LOVE to help with your quest for the perfect something.