Friday, August 14, 2009

Vacation! And books!

Week of Solitude starts tonight! How much am I looking forward to this? You have no idea.

To kill some of the interminable minutes between now and then, here's a book meme I stole from Temp over on Facebook.

Rules: Don't take too long to think about it. List 15 books you've read that will always stick with you. They should be the first 15 you can recall in no more than 15 minutes.

1. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
2. The Liar, Stephen Fry
3. One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
4. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
5. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
6. Watership Down, Richard Adams
7. The Portrait of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
8. The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison
9. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
10. Good Omens, Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett
11. Native Son, Richard Wright
12. Lolita, Vladimir Nabokov
13. Slaughterhouse Five, Kurt Vonnegut
14. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
15. A Song of Ice and Fire (series), George R.R. Martin

Huh. That was different than I thought. Mostly because of the "books that will always stick with you" bit. I mean, the degree to which I loathed Moby Dick means it will always stick with me, but damned if I'm going to put it on the list. And I just know there are some books that are really dear to me that I just didn't think of right off the top of my head. And then there's the whole thing where books like Jane Eyre were terrifically important to me in my teens, but if I read it now it would be completely different. Some of these are here because of how deeply comfortable they are, others because they are the opposite of that.

Yay books.

3 comments:

BCW said...

I'm trying despertely to get through a Song of Fire and Ice. First book went quick, second book quick-ish, thrid book - ugh.

But Since G.R.R. is to be in the Fargo Metro Area (yeah people actually refer to Fargo as a Metro) in October, I thought I'd give it a try.

BCW said...

Ok, Speeling errrors, It is a Song of Ice and Fire, and third book.

Pusher said...

Really? I haven't read the third book yet. I've decided I'm done with ongoing long series. I won't start or continue any more of them until they're complete. That way if an author is going to die or get addicted to WoW, I won't be left in the lurch again.