Sunday, March 25, 2007

SPRING!

Wow, how incredible was the weather yesterday? And after all that talk about gardening over on Syl's blog, I just couldn't help myself. We installed new blinds in the living room in the morning, and I went outside to see how they looked from out there ... and just didn't go back in. I was comfortable outside in a T-shirt! First I just walked around looking at all the buds popping out and the plants that were growing already despite the inadvisability of growing in March (the primroses? Already huge!). I uncovered a couple beds, hacked down my "winter interest" (i.e., I was too lazy to cut them down last fall) plants, and yanked all the grass out from the peony corner and the raspberry bed.

All of this was a very bad idea, of course. I have been informed by experts that you should stay the hell off your lawn in early spring. The soil is wet and a little loosened by freeze. Walking around on it not only tears up fragile new growth but creates a dense, compacted mess that makes it harder for water and nutrients to penetrate and does no favors to its long-term health.

And you know what? I don't care. Yesterday was marvellous.

2 comments:

Jaysan said...

I say phooq the grass, do you know how hard it is to really kill that stuff?

Pusher said...

Yeah, that's sort of how I justified it to myself. Eventually I don't want any grass left, and I'll have to turn over the soil to put other stuff in there anyway, so screw it!