Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Three-day weekends are yay

Lunch and cribbage with the folks, helping a little over at Superman & Sunshine's, baking fresh crescent rolls, a little cleaning, getting all the shopping done for Diplowhat's package (now just need to get to post office for box and again to actually ship it off....), and we still had a whole day to do nothing but sit on our keisters, drink wine and watch movies. Netflix On Demand = win.

Bottle Shock. It's about wine and has Alan Rickman and Eliza Dushku in it. We were bound to like it. (Also has Bill Pullman — not Paxton — and the kid who's playing Kirk in the new Star Trek.) Fictionalization of a 1976 blind wine tasting that brought Napa to the attention of the world. Cute and fluffy.

The Maltese Falcon. It had been many, many years for both of us. It's amazing how much I forgot what a bastard Sam Spade really is. Awesome.

The Candidate. Robert Redford! Politics! I can't believe I hadn't seen this movie before. Funny, depressing, and more even-handed and honest than I expected it to be.

And we finally got around to starting on MI-5. Temp, I thought you told me it didn't start out all that good? My expectations for later seasons are now ridiculously high. And I'm sure you mentioned the part where Anthony Stewart Head and Hugh Laurie both pop up in episode 4, but my memory being what it is, I completely forgot. I managed to restrain myself to happy "Giles!" noises, but by the time Hugh popped in I had devolved to embarrassing squeals. The Hugh Laurie/Peter Firth bitchiness gave me no end of glee. I had also forgotten various spoilers, but then I went to IMDB to figure out where I knew the woman who looks like Helen Mirren from, and the spoilers were sort of unavoidable. Oops. Doesn't matter. We're through episode 4 and I'm completely hooked.

3 comments:

The Dude said...

The best part of the Maltese Falcon is that if you've read the book, they actually toned down Sam Spade...

Kashka said...

Yay on all your media (and for hanging out with your parents)! My comment on MI-5 getting better after Series One is based entirely on my irrational love of Peter Firth.

DiploWhat said...

Hey, if there's still room, can you through in some pouches of tuna? If not, that's cool. Hm, maybe we should look into MI-5 since so many like it. Sadly, Netflix is painfully slow to get here and they won't let me do the on demand option because I'm outside of the US. Bastards!