Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Made with Real Girl Scouts

Made with, wrapped by, whatever. The point is I did my Christmas shopping at Barnes & Noble over the weekend (because yes, I'm one of those lame aunts who doesn't get you fun toys—but at least it's not socks). Not only did I have a mostly painless shopping experience because, hey, Barnes & Noble!, but Girl Scout Troop 772 was there doing free gift wrapping. Those of you who have ever received a gift from me not in a bag (or bottle) know that I wrap gifts about as well as a 5-year-old with no thumbs, so this was very exciting. Dropped $10 in their donation basket and considered it a steal.

Speaking of thumbs, I managed to gash mine pretty well making dinner last night. Not with a knife or anything reasonable like that. Opening a half-pint tub of sour cream. I don't know. It takes talent.

Thanks to everyone for the welcome, and yes, there will be cheese.

6 comments:

Ms. Huis Herself said...

As a former teacher, books are big on my gift list for kids, too. For my nieces, I often gave/give them Klutz books, or other read and do sorts of books - I figure they're reading AND having fun (and have something to do at Grandma & Grandpa's house where Xmas is held). Also big - board games.

But YAY for the wrapping! All parties ended up happy there.

Syl said...

Hey, I like getting socks for Christmas now.

And thanks for the post, now I know what I'm getting my step brother's kids. Off to the book store!!

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! I can post now. Yes, I'm lame and still using windows live and don't a have blogger/google account.
Sorry to hear about your thumb, Pusher -- but at least you didn't have to try and wrap gifts with a sore thumb! I still have wrapping to do...

Pusher said...

Ms. Huis, I can't believe I didn't think to talk to you in advance! I'm so lost in the children's section. What are Klutz books? You realize that next Xmas (thanks, Syl!) I'm going to be picking your brain with my little list of ages and interests, right?

Ang, I'm glad you emailed me — I hadn't realized my blog was set up so only Blogger users could reply. Fixed now, but let me know if you run across any other issues.

Kashka said...

My general rule, with kids, is to get them something that I would think is cool. I don't know if that's going to hold up through the years, but so far it's worked. So, for books, I look for stuff that has a good story and decent illustrations. And lizards. Lizards are a plus.

The Wog said...

I'm going to buy books by the foot from now on.