Friday, June 29, 2007

Update

I've been kinda sucking at this blog thing lately. So here's a blah-blah-this-is-my-life thing.

I'm loving the volunteering gig. Absolutely loving it. Fastest three hours of my week. And for those of you who had the "Oh dear god, Pusher is working with children?!?" reaction (which is totally justified!), I've realized something. First of all, Syl is right in that the older they get, the less I fear them, and most of the riders are in the 10-17 range. Also, I'm much better at dealing with them in a structured environment. The kids at We Can Ride aren't looking to me to entertain them; I don't have to keep them out of trouble; I don't have to try to read them the stories that they've written by scribbling on a piece of paper (for the record, I always read them wrong). I'm okay with kids if all I have to do is take 'em outside and give airplane rides til my arms are ready to fall off, and I'm okay with these kids when all I have to do is make sure they're okay in the saddle, help them with the instructions the teacher is giving, and answer the same question 34 times.

Last week we had an unexpected houseguest — childhood friend of mine who just moved back to Minneapolis and needed a place to stay for a few nights. If nothing else, it was a good reminder of how much I enjoy my quiet, comfortable, placid existence. :-)

Lagging a bit behind in the garden. I'm trying to at least keep up with watering the tomatoes and the new trees, now that Mother Nature isn't handling that bit for me, but the weeds are emerging triumphant I'm afraid. Sugar snap peas and the early crop of raspberries are ripe now. Yum. I'm hoping to spend lots of time out there this weekend. Took some pictures lately too; I should put those up in the blog.

Last weekend was our first weekend of the summer up at the lake. We took Friday off and were joined by Jaysan and The Sexy Blonde. Cool enough for a late morning bike ride (I didn't die! Or wuss out at the end of the driveway!), then hot enough for a swim. Lots of grilled meat, cold booze, and nature. Yay lake.

6 comments:

Kashka said...

Wow, for Lake Envy. But! I did give my end date here in Pierre, so I will be intruding on a couple of days of your WOS, whether you meant to invite me or not.

DiploWhat said...

Ah, a lake. How I miss thee. And, the relatively cool MN temps.

Allknowingjen said...

Yes! you should post garden pictures- we'd love to see them :) Also, glad to hear you are loving the volunteer gig-I think that is awesome.

Syl said...

Only been there once, but am dreaming wistfully of my day at the lake. Ahhhh.

Happy Veggie said...

Don't lakes come with mosquitos... I seem to remember that from the last time I was at one. I also remember serenity. yay lake! I'm so glad volunteering is working out. It sounds totally rewarding. I am envious.

Anonymous said...

SVB here:
Knew you'd cave eventually. Yes, it's a million times different when the kids want to be there.

As for your neglected garden, I still have that Smith & Hawken home composter whenever you're ready. Just let me know!