Thursday, December 27, 2007

The obligatory post-Christmas post

When are they going to develop teleportation technology so I don't ever have to drive to Chicago again?

Once there, of course, everything was fine. Awesome to see The World's Coolest Mother-in-Law, as always, and the family gathering meant trundling off to the theater to watch hapless fellows in need of a shave get ground up into meat pies. Festive! Ah, Sweeney Todd, you are a weird-ass musical. Thumbs up from me & Puck, thumbs down from the W.C.M-i-L, who is tremendously fond of the stage version and didn't appreciate the liberties taken by Mr. Burton. Also, I totally fail at celebrity identification. I spent half the movie leaning over to Puck and whispering, "Hey, is that the guy from [insert movie here]?" Turns out no, none of them were.

After a rather hairy drive up into Wisconsin, we hit the other side of Puck's family and then retired to his dad's, where the four of us promptly disposed of an entire bottle of Jameson's. Note to self: Irish whiskey goes down way too easily. Stick to Scotch.

Luckily we'd planned to drive back Christmas Eve day, so we did not have to deal with the snow, and the last leg of the trip was by far the best driving conditions. I still think next year we ought to fly, though that means airports around the holidays, so perhaps not. Maybe Amtrak. Christmas Day was entirely self-indulgent. We drank beer and played way too much Rock Band and watched the snow flutter down in beautiful fat flakes, and I made a yummy butternut squash-potato chowder for supper, which was the perfect kind of cozy comfort food for the day.

Weather permitting, I hope to go cross-country skiing again Saturday, January 5. Consider yourself invited.

2 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

Thanks for not spoiling Sweeney Todd for me! (I mean, I know how it goes, and I knew some had to be cut because they couldn't fit a 3 hr stage show into a 2 hr movie)But thanks for not giving too much away- I still haven't seen it. (hopefully this weekend)
I recently heard it called "High School Musical, for Goths" and that is still making me laugh.

Sounds like the perfect christmas day. :)

DiploWhat said...

So glad you didn't have to drive on X-mas day. It was beyond horrible!!! We were stuck driving from LaCrosse to St. Cloud in the crap. Once we hit Rochester, the top speed was 40, and that was really pushing it and we were freely sliding around. Sorry we couldn't see you on the way back though! Hm - maybe I will have to use my Northwest dicount certificate for a trip back...