Thursday, January 24, 2008

Plans

Over at The Bus of Love, the All-Knowing Jen mentioned cabin fever. I, too, am a February victim of the winter blahs, and her post served as a reminder. I recently had dinner with the marvellous woman who used to do freelance proofreading here, and she had a little collection of bulbs sprouting on her table. Why don't I???? I'm pretty much opposed to spending the amount Bachman's wants for their "Watch 'em Grow" gardens (not to mention deeply opposed to the twee, dumbed-down name), so this year is no good. But next year I could get some bulbs for indoor forcing. And hey, I have an extra fridge now! The kegerator has plenty of door space for bulbs. There's something about bulbs that gives me a gardening fix that houseplants can't. I don't understand it, but man, I saw those spiky little crocus leaves poking up through the dirt in her pot and it was instant joy.

And, y'know, since you can't buy bulbs cost-effectively in anything less than bulk, I should probably force some for friends, too. Anyone interested? I'm thinking grape hyacinth, dwarf narcissus, and crocus. If I get ambitious and remember to start early, I could even do dwarf iris, but we all know what the odds of that are.

Elsewhere in the land of good intentions and escaping winter lethargy, Puck, being the awesome husband that he is, recently bought me a very early birthday present — my very own elliptical machine! I've had it for over a week and haven't used it yet (I really, really, really do not have the willpower to get up early and exercise...), but that changes tonight. Also, there will be skiing again this weekend — if anyone is interested in joining us, give me a call.

2 comments:

Syl said...

Alas, the skiing.

Anyway, Pants is actually a sucker for bulbs. I might be convinced.

Happy Veggie said...

ajd is allergic to them all, but I coudl keep them at work. I could go in on it.

Yay eliptical. I am trying to convince ajd that we need one when we reorganize rooms. Maybe if I rent first and use it, I could convince him.