Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Better than finding $20 in your pocket

I counted up my vacation days wrong. Turns out I have two whole days that I need to use or lose before the end of the year. This felt like such a bonus, such a gift, that I couldn't accept the idea of not doing something fun.

So Puck and I decided to use one of them to head up to Lutsen for a weekend of skiing. As the kids used to say last year or thereabouts, WOOT! Mid-December holiday FTW! Maybe this time I'll even try a MEDIUM difficulty run!

We'll be staying at the good ol' trusty Cascade Lodge, in the lodge part. If folks could help me remember which restaurants in Grand Marais are don't-miss, I'd appreciate it. (I do remember The Coho Cafe in Tofte, but that's the only name I recall.)

8 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

I think the one you are thinking of- that Kashka raved about? is only open seasonally in the summer.
If you can, you should see if Naniboujou lodge is open the week you are there.
The place we had the good beer was the Gunflint Tavern, food was pretty good too.

Allknowingjen said...

I also meant to say woo! and hoo! :)

Syl said...

Squee! Betty's Pies had awesome food - very interesting menu for middle of nowhere.

Allknowingjen said...

Syl are you thinking of the Pie Place? Betty's is down closer to Split Rock.

Pusher said...

I forgot all about the Gunflint Tavern! Thanks, Jen. I knew Temp's restaurant was closed for the season. Figured I'd just collect as many recommendations as I could get. As you know, I'm all about eating well. :-)

Thanks to both of you!

Kashka said...

That is significantly better than $20 in your pocket. If it were me, I'd be tempted to stop at Grandma's in Duluth, if only to watch the Lift Bridge while drinking beer.

Syl said...

I was thinking of Betty's, but forgot it was so far. maybe on the way up?

DiploWhat said...

Betty's is in/near Two Harbors. Not as good as it was when it was a super tiny place, but still good pie. (Granted, I haven't been there since 2000 or earlier) But, now I'm ticked I can't think of the awsome place we would traditionaly eat at after a long canoe trip right in Grand Marias, on the main street, near Lunds m/hotel (another tradition cuz my fam knew the owners). Grrrr.