Wednesday, January 31, 2007

A Little Knowledge...

can really make you look like a jackass.

Today I corrected an alphabetized list of cities, putting "Newark" before "New York". The project manager took my changes to the client and got a fairly condescending reply about how New York should be listed first "because 'New' is a whole word," and she was "surprised that your copywriter [sic] didn't know that."

Well, she would be right (though ambiguously justified) if we were using word-by-word alphabetizing, but we're using letter-by-letter, which discounts spaces. Just like most dictionaries, atlases, and (oh by the way) this client's own website.

Don't get snippy with me on a professional level unless you damn well know whereof you speak, or I will snark about you on the all-powerful blog. That'll show you. ;-)

5 comments:

Jaysan said...

In the grand scheme of things, I think you just won one for the home team.

Allknowingjen said...

Um actually, I wouldn't get snippy with you on a personal basis either... unless I damn well knew what I was talking about. ;) Glald you were so richly vindicated.

Pusher said...

AKJ, while I do appreciate the sentiment, I'm a lot less likely to get up on my high horse over people getting snippy with me on a personal basis. Because really? On a personal level sometimes I'm kind of a dumbass. :-) But thanks anyway!

Syl said...

You are my grammar goddess.

Happy Veggie said...

I bow to your mastery of the alphabet. I can't even get numbers in order most days.