Thursday, January 25, 2007

Maybe I just need to be angrier

Yesterday we had a belated holiday party at work. It was belated because they laid off half the department during the actual holiday season, and a party at the time may have seemed in poor taste. Our non-holiday party? Bowling. With teams. Teams that had names. And matching outfits. And that's all I'll say about that since as the Sexy Blonde has pointed out, a little circumspection is a good thing to have in a blog and I've already crossed that line. :-)

So anyway, I did what I could to enjoy myself. I gave myself a little pep talk, and when that failed, tried to at least keep myself entertained by beaming at everyone while mentally singing "Take the s---heads bowling, take them bowling (bowling)!" That worked for a while, partly because that last little echo "bowling" invariably cheers me up, but only for a while.

(Keep in mind that I'm still going dry. I consider the fact that I didn't cave and order a Boddington's on tap — or straight whiskey, whatever — to be a major triumph of willpower.)

I arrived home cranky and irritated and stressed out by the crowd (pity poor Puck) shortly before 8:00. On a normal night, I would have decided it was too late to exercise. But I hadn't been on the elliptical since Sunday, and since today is Thursday dinner, that would make it an entire work week without exercising, and I didn't want to deal with that much guilt on top of the cranky foulness. So I went down and exercised.

And it was great!

Those of you who know my opinion on exercise in general may now commence with the fainting and/or smartass comments.

It felt good, I could've gone longer except I thought dinner was probably getting cold (it wasn't, because Puck is fabulous and had tucked it back into the oven), and by the end of it, my bad mood was gone.

So the conclusion I've drawn from this is that maybe if I were generally less happy, if I were angrier and more irritated more of the time, I'd be better about exercising! Anybody buying?

No? Oh well. Me neither. Still, I think maybe I'll start thinking about the Bush administration before I go work out....

7 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

OMG you did not just say that... I had to re-read about 3 times.
and also OMG at the bowling scene... We also went bowling for the Dude's department holiday party (also postponed until Jan) but there were no assigned teams and there were no matching outfits of any kind. thank goodness.

Kashka said...

There is something to being charged up and then exercising. It gives you somewhere to put your pissedoffedness other than in your gut. And for me, if I'm going to be on a machine, it does help to chew on something, mentally, because otherwise I just watch the little clock the whole time.

That said, if I'm going to be running, particularly longer distances, it helps for me to be not quite awake. I don't know why, but I just shut off part of my head and the time passes. Which is possibly related to the falling down thing.

And you have an elliptical machine since when? Is it just visiting your house until the nomads get settled, or did you, Pusher, purchase an elliptical machine without allowing me to come along?

Syl said...

Um, matching outfits? How exactly is that enforced?

We went bowling, also in January, but there was much drinking and gutter balls. Whew!

Anonymous said...

The elliptical is just visting at Pusher's (thanks again for giving it a home where it is appreciated while we do this house thing!). You've done better than I have this week with the working out thing! Being pissed off during a workout also tends to make it a more intense workout. More calories burned. More muscle built. So if I could translate worry and anxiety to anger, just for my workouts, I'd be so set.

Pusher said...

AKJ: I know. I can't believe I said it either.

Syl: It's enforced only through peer pressure and the knowledge that if you don't wear the feather boa and the t-shirt with your team name and logo ironed on, you will be singled out as ... well, as having my attitude. Which is not one of corporate bliss. And leads one's employers to seeing one as a Problem Child who Does Not Play Well With Others and may need to be replaced.

And yes, much gratitude to the nomads (hee, I like that!) for letting me use their elliptical machine!

DiploWhat said...

We did bowling back when I worked at Watson Wyatt. They also had assigned teams. Some of us got cat ears - others got fake pony tails which were promptly placed in the armpits. Oh, and there was LOTS of free alcohol. Man, I miss that place!
I feel your pain on the going dry thing. I made myself give up Vodka for a month. That was nasty.
Exercise? I guess our new place does have a gym...

DiploWhat said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.