Monday, April 30, 2007

Ow.

Friday: Planted seeds: just peas and basil this year. Then Puck and I took down the front fence.

Saturday: Brought fence to recycling center. Rented rototiller. Puck tilled out the stretch along the north side fence and the tree spots. Did proper double-digging for the first time, amending the soil way down there, then sifting the topsoil back in without all the grass and roots. Worried we didn't make the bed wide enough. Moved peonies. Are they too close together? I have no sense of scale! Puck did all the real work, yet I was dead on my feet. Am wussy. Went to The Rental, saw Mr. Kluges (yay!) and assorted family members thereof. Did a little deck staining, but mostly just visited.

Sunday: Poor droopy peonies. I hope they make it. :-( Back to The Rental. Tried to turn gravel pit into zen garden: raked the gravel, found one good rock, placed it, decided I was out of my league. Got to meet Sprout and see her milk-drunk face. Veggie and AJD seem so relaxed and well-rested for new, first-time parents! Went to look at flagstone for front walk. Rocks are pretty. And expensive. And we want lots of them. Hot, tired, utterly wiped out. Meant to clean the bathroom; watched TV instead.

Gardening is love pain worth it.

3 comments:

Syl said...

Well spent weekend.

Happy Veggie said...

Thanks. Yay for co-sleeping, actually taking the advice to sleep when she sleeps, and a husband who gets to work from home, and is keeping the kitchen clean. Yes, rocks are expensive. At least all of the pretty ones are.

Allknowingjen said...

good god woman!
man, I really need my weekends back...