Monday, May 7, 2007

Generation gap

I feel so old.

This morning Radio K played As You Wish by Aqueduct. Then the chirpy little D.J. came on and said, "I heard from a caller that the lyrics of that were from a movie called The Princess Bride? I don't know."

Said lyrics? Included "I'll probably kill you in the morning", "As you wish", "True love", and "To the pain" (including the bit about the ears). And I just thought, I think everyone I know could still quote large portions of that movie, and this college student sounds like she's never even heard of it.

Then I realized that it was reasonably likely that when The Princess Bride was released (1987), she hadn't even been born.

I'm so old.

5 comments:

Allknowingjen said...

GAH!!!
Just another reason I can no longer listen to college radio... *sigh*

Happy Veggie said...

Thats wrong. Who doesn't know the movie. Its only on cable every other week. I'll have you know we've got both the book and ordered the movie, so that the Sprout knows about good cinema. Same for Monty Python's Holy Grail. (A movie that was made before I was born but that I still know about, because its just that good)

Anonymous said...

I'd rather be my age and know about The Princess Bride. Damn youngens.

Syl said...

Ack! I'm not sure if I'm more embarrassed that she didn't know what it was or that I can actually quote entire scenes from the movie.

Allknowingjen said...

Anybody want a Peanut?