Monday, May 14, 2007

Hooray plants!

Okay, it doesn't work quite as well as "hooray beer" (which is one of my most favorite commercials ever). The Plant Sale was fabulous. Seven of us went, including J & Ang, who drove the truck down even though they weren't buying anything this year because they are awesome like that. I think everyone found almost everything they wanted. I couldn't get any delphinium for All-Knowing Jen because they only had 'compacta' and they looked pretty straggly. To me half the point of delphinium is that those staggeringly vibrant blues and purples are right up there at eye level, so I don't understand why you'd want one that only gets a foot tall. But I got her creeping juniper, and then Puck decided he liked it so much he got one for us too.

I went with a huge wad of cash and left with $5 and many awesome plants — IIRC, I bought about 25 plants, Puck bought several, and then there were the tomatoes & cucumbers. I'm especially excited about the purple rhododendron, which I wouldn't have even seen because I was so busy looking for one where the pink was light enough to look white. Yay for Puck, who spotted it. As always, it was a little crazy, with all the people and trying to find the right plants and relaying the plants from the tables to wagons and nabbing the last of the red dwarf dicentra (way to go Syl!) and trying to go against the stream in an aisle then spotting your husband further in and shouting "Hey! Are there any platycodon where you are?" because you don't want to wade through if it's not the right aisle, only to have the woman next to you say, "They're down there, but they're out of everything but blue and white" and being very happy because those are the colors you want. It's weird. In a way it's like those crazy lines that form for new video game systems or Cabbage Patch Dolls back in the day, except nobody is pushy and everyone's very nice, and if there are two people reaching for the last echinacea purpurea the likely scenario is that they'll both pull back and say "Oh no, you go ahead."

Temp, I did not get miscanthus giganteus, mostly because I hadn't figured out a place to put it. I did get a couple other ornamental grasses though, because yours was so pretty.

I totally had a buyer's rush going. Whee!

Then came the work part. Suzuri was awesome enough to help all day Saturday, and that made a huge difference. We got almost everything put in the ground, the remnants of the gas lamp taken out, and a new small bed dug along part of the south fence. Saturday night she and I went to see the Gyuto Tibetan Monks performing a chant ceremony at the Basilica, which was incredibly cool. Then yesterday I went out and picked up the blueberries I couldn't find at the Plant Sale, and Puck and I sifted the ground stump area and he dropped the last few plants in.

Slept like a rock.

4 comments:

Happy Veggie said...

I live in envy of your yard. I can't wait to see it all planted.

Kashka said...

Sounds like a pretty typical plant sale, by which I mean AWESOME.

Syl said...

Jealous of your planting spree - still hacking away at my bushes.

DiploWhat said...

Again, SO very jealous.