Thursday, September 20, 2007

I just need to post something

I'm getting really weirded out by seeing pictures of myself when I come to Blogger, so here's a random post.

Via Garden Rant, there's a cool time-lapse video of a Titan Arum blooming here. Also via Garden Rant, I've learned that the scientific name for Titan Arum is Amorphophallus titanum. From the Greek, amorphos, "misshapen" + phallos, "penis", and titan, giant. So it's a giant misshapen penis flower.

I must say, this is an endorsement of the Renegade Gardener's insistence that you should know the proper names of plants.

Fortunately I don't need to covet this plant, because it also apparently reeks like rotting meat when it blooms. It's then pollinated by flesh-eating beetles and flies. Nature is weird and awesome.

3 comments:

DiploWhat said...

I believe they have one at the arboretum here.
And, I would say the flower is appropriately named.

Syl said...

You just know there was some crazy botany geek snickering and giggling when he got to name that one.

Jaysan said...

Just thought you should know that I just saw a new blog you and like minded others might be interested in following (if it keeps up) http://www.stephenfry.com/blog/