Friday, October 19, 2007

Do kids still say "woot!"?

Few things make me feel so old and out of touch as proofing stuff for our account geared to college students. The 30-something writer puts in "hip" slang, and I'm always like, do people still say that? "Sweet"? Really? Of course, I was never up on current slang even when I was in college, but you could still always tell when things were written by 30-something copywriters trying to speak your language, and it was always sad. Still, it provides me with entertaining things to Google. (What gets more hits: "Whoooo!", "Woo hoo!", "Woot!" or some other variation?)

Is it wrong of me to already be looking forward to next year's Oktoberfest? I seriously don't know why it's so damn fun (other than the beer), but I just adore it. I was thinking about doing a riff on the Concord Singers for this year's NaNo, but I think I would rather save the making up stories about random people we see at Oktoberfest for the event itself. Waltz on, Tiny Laurence!

7 comments:

Kashka said...

Tiny Lawrence! He's still dancing, I bet. (And here's how we could justify bringing Mama Butak without that pesky "but she'll make us participate..." thing -- introduce the two of them and just sit back.)

I haven't heard "Woot!" recently. Mostly, I've noticed how incredibly foul-mouthed the kids around me in Rocks for Jocks are. And this is coming from me.

Speaking of...late for class. Woot!

sullenfish said...

Do the youths of today still appreciate the fine vocal stylings of Rudy Vallee?

23 skidoo!

Allknowingjen said...

OK that's it- next year, Attila gets packed off to Grandmas, I want to go to Oktoberfest!

Kashka said...

Before I forget: Did you tell Mama Butak that both you and Puck attended Mass on Saturday night? And that I know all the words to the Nicene Creed?

DiploWhat said...

Woot must still be used because my last boss had no idea what I was saying when I responded to a good e-mail with "woot". And, I know it is at least used by online gamers like Wog.....
October? Huh? Had to tell with the 80 degree weather here - but the leaves are just starting to change. Now, where's my cool weather, damn it?!?

Jaysan said...

I said LOL the other day to Syl in th elevator lobby and it so, sounded wrong.

Syl said...

Can I just say I have never said, Woot!"